When choosing a horse ride, this is a useful guide:
- Beginner – You have limited or no experience of riding, are unable to trot or canter.
- Novice – You are capable of mounting and dismounting unassisted, comfortable and in control at the walk, can trot for moderate lengths . Can attempt a canter with guidance.
- Intermediate – You are confident and in control at all paces in an outdoor environment however only ride intermittently.
- Strong intermediate – You are an intermediate rider who is currently riding regularly and is comfortable in the saddle for at least 6 hours per day.
- Advanced – All of the above, and you also are capable of handling a spirited horse in open country.